Re: [sixties-l] teeny tiny protests on Sproul Steps

From: John Johnson (change@pacbell.net)
Date: 10/06/00

    Im obviously talking about public perceptions and why only 200 showed up at
    a rally rather then the reality of the situation.

    If there wasn't a link there is now.  Should Jews have their own country
    would be answered yes by all but the most anti-Semitic.

    There has been a long standing position in the opposition that Israel
    should not exist at all, for some real reasons but that position will never
    be viable.  There is also a long standing religious aspect to the
    conflict.  Just as their is around the world today.  Of course most to do
    not exist in isolation, there are usually  overlaying political and
    economics behind such conflicts, but the religious ones add fuel and
    divisions.

    During anti-war campaigns during the bombing of Kosovo, the Albanians would
    should up and have religious ceremonies, a hour later the Serbs would do
    the same thing.  Most of the leftist there would be standing off, not
    particularly wanted to disrespect or support either.

    Because of and also despite of other aspects. the religious ones including
    the claim of the hill by both is important at the moment.  Possession of
    the  Temple Mount and the control of Jerusalem are the what are the center
    of the current battles. In a better more democratic situation, such could
    be negotiated but of course that has never existed there and what is has to
    be dealt with.  I personally have no position on these issues themselves
    and doubt many others not directly involved do either.

    But a recent survive posted shows most are against Israeli soldiers using
    live ammunition and are taken back by the violence.