[sixties-l] Re: Fwd: Lawyers Seek SLA Shootout Files

From: Michael Rossman (mrossman@igc.org)
Date: 10/06/00

    >D. Horowitz wrote:
    >Actually the SLA became famous not with the kidnapping of Patty Hearst but with
    >the cold blooded assassination of Marcus Foster, the first black superintendent
    >of Oakland's schools.

    Although I abhor such violence as much as the next pacifist, even at targets
    less-generally respected,  it's instructive to review the rationale given by
    the SLA for the assassination of Marcus Foster. As I recall, they saw him as
    presiding over the military pacification of the public schools -- the key
    points being their fenced enclosure with armed guards, and the drugging of
    then-termed "hyperactive" students, particularly with Ritalin. Although the
    paths of development since do not coincide with SLA expectations, the irony of
    the present situation is apparent. For the degree of protective fortification
    and policing has advanced significantly,  not only in inner-city schools but
    in spreading to those more privileged; and the degree of drugging, across all
    social levels, has multiplied remarkably with the popularity of ADD/ADHD
    diagnosis and the general trend towards pharmaceutical management of personal
    and social problems. Ironically also, perhaps, Foster's assassination was a
    significant factor in disrupting the development of analyses and activism
    concerned with the conjunction of these two continuing developments.

    Michael Rossman <mrossman@igc.org>