Re: [sixties-l] teeny tiny protests on Sproul Steps

From: William M Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: 10/06/00

    The Israelis now admit that the shooting of the 12-year-old was a "mistake."
    There is no basic link in our culture with Israel. This country was anti-Semitic
    as hell until it was discovered that Israel was willing to serve as our anchored
    aircraft carrier vs. the Soviet Union. I still have the issue of Collier's
    imagining World War III, with Lowell Thomas describing his trip on an American
    bomber out of Tel Aviv.
        The U.S. propaganda machine went all-out to change the people's minds about
    Jews, exactly as it did the opposite at the same time about Our Great Soviet
    Ally.. Exactly as, when it was decided that the U.S. needed and could get Japan as
    an ally against the USSR, the former references to "Japs"disappeared from the
    mainstream press, radio, and TV. I think that the fact that you are resident in
    Los Angeles distorts your view, as would be the case if you lived in New York.
        When I said on Pacifica'a air in 1967 that Israel did not necessarily have all
    justice on its side in that year's Six-Day War, KPFK and WBAI, which had carried
    me without interruption from the day the former was founded and, in the latter
    case, even before it was given to Pacifica, took me off the air. Listener protest
    got me back on again (which is why I haven't given up this time, after five years
    off KPFA).
        For christ's sake, the issue is not the ownership of a hill, but of a country.
    Hezbollah and Hamas are significant because two generations of young people have
    grown up knowing nothing but occupation. And there is no worse political
    provocateur on earth than Ariel Sharon, who is responsible for the massacres at
    Sabra and Shatillah, and earlier ones, and went to that hill last week not as a
    private citizen but with a bodyguard of cops who forcibly cleared people away.

    William Mandel