Re: [sixties-l] Re: new ground: The Sixties and the Right

From: monkerud (monkerud@scruznet.com)
Date: 10/06/00

    Although I see Marty's point, and held a youthful contempt for those whom I
    considered conformist, I think Marty sees things too narrowly from his
    experience. People were attracted by what we were doing and joined us, we
    made allies in many places. We cannot be blamed for alienating those who
    disagreed with us; they were bound to hate us for what we represented
    anyway.

    One strong point would be to examine the GI movement. At first we degrade
    the GIs but that quickly changed as we turned to supporting them with a
    Bring the Troops Home focus. I recall talking to many GIs at Fort Hood
    Texas back then and feeling that we had much in common, and they displayed
    no hostility to us and what we were about. We were all in the same boat.

    best, Don