Re: [sixties-l] Re: new ground: The Sixties and the Right

From: Marty Jezer (mjez@sover.net)
Date: 10/05/00

    I don't quite understand the arugment here, Bill.  I agree with you that things
    are better today, at least in this country, in the areas of civil rights, human
    rights, and issues of personal freedom (which is not to say that they're
    great).  But we, in the sixties, did do stuff that fueled the backlash and,
    IMHO, made it a lot more severe than it needed to be.

    Marty Jezer

    At 07:30 PM 10/4/2000 -0700, you wrote:

    > The fact remains that nothing won in the field of civil rights has been lost,
    > that gay rights are at this moment in better shape than ever before, and
    > that, considering all the multifarious criteria for measuring the status of
    > women, the same probably obtains there as well. Consider the latest: the
    > legalization of the at-home abortion pill.
    >     This does not mean that cops don't engage in racial profiling. T

    Marty Jezer  * 22 Prospect Street * Brattleboro, Vermont 05301
    Check out my web page:  http://www.sover.net/~mjez

    To subscribe to my Friday commentary, simply request to be put on my mailing
    list. It's free!