Re: [sixties-l] Paul/DH , this list

From: William M Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: 10/04/00

    This is a response to an important point you make. Do you think that all the
    little handguns and shotguns and single-shot rifles plus the few relatively
    expensive semi-automatics and even automatics that civilians own, even assuming
    they were all on the same side, can outgun the helicopter gunships and heavy
    machine-guns on tanks and flamethrowers and actual artillery the armies and
    police possess? Isn't it obvious that any sign of real firepower in the hands of
    civilians serves as an excuse for the police to be armed up to what used to be
    the level of armies? Look at Israel versus the Palestinians right now.
        It may interest you to know that the Saturday Night special making pistols,
    pretty inaccurate, cheaply available to "the masses," was developed, in the
    sixties, by a man who had been a fellow Lefty of mine during the CCNY struggles
    of the 1930s. All it accomplished was to help a lot of poor folk kill each other
    off and to develop the police psychology of 41 shots first and ask questions
    later.
                                                            Bill Mandel