Re: [sixties-l] Re: new ground: The Sixties and the Right

From: Marty Jezer (mjez@sover.net)
Date: 10/04/00

    Don, and others.

    It was not just the state that repressed us.

    We also offended people in deep and harmful ways, trashed the way they lived,
    the way they dressed, what they listened to, how they worked. And they rose up
    angry and, also (and this was my major point) got organized.

    And the backlash, which was organized into politics, has shaped the past thirty
    years.

    Social change always creates a backlash. Civil rights, women's liberation, gay
    rights, etc.
    were issues of justice that were bound to upset people in very personal ways. A
    backlash was inevitable. We (because we were young) rubbed it in, however, and
    made it worse.
    We wanted respect, but we had no respect for "straight" people. It's that
    dynamic that we (especially the younger generation) has to learn from.

    One of key organizing ideas that came out of SNCC and early grassroots
    organizing was that you have to recognize where people are coming from and
    educate and organize them from where they're at. Not everyone gets tolerance
    and a love of justice with their mother's milk (or their father's bottle).

    Marty

    At 08:19 PM 10/3/2000 -0700, Don wrote:
    >Well put posting Ted! Much more detailed than my simplistic emotional
    >description. We scared the hell out of people who had something to lose,
    >whatever branch of the elite they came from. Those elites directed the
    >media at are largest warts, and as we all know, we had plenty; and they
    >rolled out the tanks. snip snisp snip
    Marty Jezer  * 22 Prospect Street * Brattleboro, Vermont 05301 * P/F [802]
    257-5644

    Check out my web page:  http://www.sover.net/~mjez
    Read my commentary on Richard Nixon's Treason
    <http://www.tompaine.com/history/2000/09/15/index.html>

    To subscribe to my Friday commentary, simply request to be put on my mailing
    list. <mjez@sover.net>  It's free!