Re: [sixties-l] Home to War: goes to press

From: Joe McDonald (joe@countryjoe.com)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 16:36:22 CUT

    Just to set the record straight: Gerald Nicosia's book focuses on Vietnam Veterans Against The War (VVAW). The group had much to do with the Vietnam Veterans "Movement", if it can be called that, but did not act alone.

    The group that Bill Mandel saw was NOT Vietnam Veterans Against The War but "Veterans For Peace" and there were about 15 people with banners and signs and a gang of our kids. It might have been sad for Bill Mandel to see but we all had a very good time and were very well recieved.

    It is very interesting how America's concept of Military Veterans has evolved since the war and how each community relates to their Veterans. I think the idea of "soldiers being responsible for war" is finally loosing credibility and Veterans are starting to get a little bit of respect as opposed to disrespect.

    Cheers, Country Joe McDonald

    William M Mandel wrote:

    > I'm glad to see a history of the Vietnam Vets movement appear. It was sad, yesterday, to see only two or three of them, including Country Joe, as the vets' contingent in the annual Solano Avenue Stroll through Berkeley and Albany, CA.
    > Bill Mandel
    >
    > jo grant wrote:
    >
    > > Information on Gerald Nicosia's HOME TO WAR: The History of the Vietnam Veterans Movement can be seen at:
    > > http://www.bookzen.com/books/0812991036.html
    > >
    > > It will be in the book stores April 2001 from the Crown Group.
    > >
    > > j grant

    -- "Ira Furor Brevis Est " - Anger is a brief madness

    country joe Home Pg <http://www.countryjoe.com>
    country joe's tribute to Florence Nightingale <http://www.countryjoe.com/nightingale>
    Berkeley Vietnam Veterans Memorial <http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/Links/Comm/vvm>
    Rag Baby Online Magazine <http://www.ragbaby.com/magazine>