[sixties-l] [Fwd: [EMMAS] INVITATION TO A PARTY]

From: William M Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Sep 09 2000 - 05:19:51 CUT

    -------- Original Message --------
    Subject: [EMMAS] INVITATION TO A PARTY
    Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 19:25:10 EDT
    From: WoodSL@aol.com
    To: WoodSL@aol.com

    PASS IT ON!!!

    CALLING ALL MEDIA ACTIVISTS, COMMUNITY ORGANIZERS, AND
    ANYONE WHO CARES ABOUT
    THE QUALITY AND INDEPENDENCE OF MEDIA AND JOURNALISM TODAY:

    A unique opportunity is coming up. We invite you to take
    advantage of it.

    On September 19th, POV, America's premiere broadcast
    showcase of independent
    documentaries on public television, will feature "KPFA On
    the Air," a one
    hour documentary on the legendary community radio station,
    on PBS stations
    everywhere. In most cases, the show will air at 10pm, but
    check your local
    station for the exact time. The broadcast is a
    co-presentation with the
    Independent Television Service (ITVS).

    SYNOPSIS: In 1949, America's first listener-supported
    community radio
    station, KPFA, began broadcasting from Berkeley,
    California. The station
    quickly became a living testament to free speech and
    cultural diversity - a
    vital community of the air that often found itself embroiled
    in conflict.
    This riveting film takes us through KPFA's passionate
    50-year history,
    including its founding by pacifists and poets, through its
    defiance of Cold
    War conformity, to the present day challenges that confront
    this on-going
    experiment in democratic media.

    HERE'S OUR SUGGESTION:
    Organize a house party around the broadcast. Invite
    friends, neighbors, and
    colleagues, and use "KPFA On the Air" to raise questions and
    begin to develop
    strategies to improve, critique, or simply better understand
    the radio,
    television, and new media outlets available in your
    community. A list of
    possible discussion questions and relevant web sites is
    included below.

    If a house party isn't feasible, POV offers what amounts to
    a national forum
    on issues its broadcasts raise through its "Talking Back"
    program. Viewers
    can send a camcorder tape of their opinions, or telephone,
    write letters or
    send Email. A selection of these responses is broadcast or
    web-streamed
    later in the POV season. Who might see these responses?
    Congress, the FCC,
    PBS, CPB, and NPR, among others. Write or send tapes to
    POV, PO Box 750, Old
    Chelsea Station, New York, NY 10011. Email to pov@pbs.org.
    Call
    800-688-4768.

    QUESTIONS you might want to ask:

    Use, adapt, or make up your own - but don't miss a chance
    for stimulating
    discussion and action in your community about media that's
    important to you.

    To what extent do you have access to radio (public,
    community, commercial) in
    your life?

    What kind of access?

    What kind of relationship would you like to have with media
    in your community?

    What is the purpose of non-commercial radio/television?

    Why is it important?

    What functions can a radio station like KPFA serve in your
    life, in the life
    of your community?

    How would you describe you local public/community radio
    station?

    What do you know about the Pacifica Network? What lessons
    can be learned
    from the crisis that overtook Pacifica last year?

    What do you think about low power FM licenses, which the FCC
    is offering to
    community groups for the first time in decades, and many
    members of Congress
    are seeking to block?

    What do you think about Internet radio stations, and
    streaming audio and
    video? Who has access? Who should have access? How can
    they get it?

    If the public owns the public airwaves, what are our rights
    as owners?

    WEB SITES OF INTEREST:

    www.kpfa.org (program schedules, special events, and
    information about the
    station and staff)

    www.pacifica.org (the official web site of the Pacifica
    network)

    www.savepacifica.net (for background on last year's crisis
    and updates on
    the latest developments in the struggle over the future of
    Pacifica and KPFA)

    www.lasarletter.com (for information on Pacifica's founder,
    Lewis Hill)

    www.pbs.org/pov (POV's interactive web site)

    www.itvs.org (Independent Television Service, the primary
    funding
    organization for innovative independent films that meet the
    needs of
    underserved audiences)

    www.kqed.org (the San Francisco-based station is preparing a
    web page to
    coincide with the broadcast, and plans to include streaming
    audio and video
    of KPFA programs and selected scenes and outtakes from the
    film)

    www.newsreel.org (to buy or rent "KPFA On the Air" for
    educational or
    organizing purposes). California Newsreel can also be
    reached at
    415-621-6196.
            I HAVE MS. WOOD'S PERMISSION to add my website,
    www.BillMandel.net to the foregoing list. I broadcast on
    KPFA for thirty-seven years. The film has four clips on me.
    The website offers fuller material on my firing in 1995 for
    ignoring the gag rule. That event was the start of the
    intense controversy between the station and Pacifica for the
    past five years and counting. The website includes two
    chapters of my autobiography, SAYING NO TO POWER, with rich
    material on KPFA in the years covered.

    "If I can not dance, I want no part in your revolution."
    Emma Goldman

    This message comes to you from the emmasdance list.
    To obtain guidelines for how to participate in this forum
    send mail to
    <majordomo@cs.pdx.edu>
    with this command in the body:
    info emmasdance

    Send appropriate email to <emmasdance@cs.pdx.edu>
    and it will be passed on as soon as possible.

    To SUBSCRIBE/UNSUBSCRIBE to the emmasdance list send email
    <majordomo@cs.pdx.edu>
    with the message subscribe/unsubscribe emmasdance.

    [No subject is needed.]