[sixties-l] Vietnam Vets and Spit

From: Marty Jezer (mjez@sover.net)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 17:14:49 CUT

    There is an important article on Vietnam Vets and the phony allegation that
    anti-war protestors spit on them. The article is at TomPaine.com
    <www.tompaine.com>.

    It's called MEDIA MYTH: Vietnam Vets and Spit
    A Sociologist Reports

    The author, Jerry Lembcke, is an associate professor of Sociology at Holy
    Cross College in Worcester, Massachusetts, and the author of
    The Spitting Image: Myth, Memory, and the Legacy of Vietnam
    (NYU Press 1998). He's also a Vietnam Vet.

    I recommend both the book and the TomPaine.com article.

    Marty Jezer

    --
    Marty Jezer  *  22 Prospect St. *  Brattleboro, VT 05301 * p/f  802 257-5644

    Author: Stuttering: A Life Bound Up in Words (Basic Books) Abbie Hoffman: American Rebel (Rutgers University Press) The Dark Ages: Life in the USA, 1945-1960 (South End Press) Rachel Carson [American Women of Achievement Series] (Chelsea House) Check out my web page: http://www.sover.net/~mjez To subscribe to my Friday commentary, simply request to be put on my mailing list. <mjez@sover.net> It's free!