Re: [sixties-l] Value of street demos

From: Ted Morgan (epm2@lehigh.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 20:01:17 CUT

    Richard Waddell makes several good point in his comment on my earlier post re.
    getting a 'radical message' across in the media --the importance of cultivating
    and informing reporter contacts, the need to plan carefully, focus on a clear
    message, etc. Yes all have been problematic for protest movements (i..e, they
    have often fallen short). My point, however, has to do with the media content
    itself. How many article can one find in mass media that contain what might
    legitimately be called radical --i.e.. system-critical content? Whether about
    protest or not? And then, with protests and the imperative of drama, visuals,
    etc. to get noticed by media, these characteristics (i.e., what make the stories
    'newsworthy' invariable supplant any radical content. I'm just trying to point
    out that it is hugely problematic, and I haven't seen many successes! I'm open
    to examples being sent my way....

    Ted Morgan