[sixties-l] Re: sixties-l-Tom Hayden--A Foot in Both Camps

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 08:02:34 CUT

    Tom Hayden is an interesting case. While defending his position as a
    Gore delegate, he was on the streets of LA with the protesters, where
    his son, Troy, was one of those shot by a rubber bullet and chose to be
    with the protesters when Gore was giving his acceptance speech. I have
    suggested before that Hayden desperately wants to regain his credentials
    as a movement activist, but I now I suspect that its a bit more
    complicated than that and that Hayden's role at the convention was to
    act as a pacifier. Or perhaps, this description of him in today's SF
    Chronicle (8/19) is inaccurate:

    "State Sen. Tom Hayden was in the crowd outside the Staple Center
    Thursday night, trying to keep the peace among the rowdier members of
    the crowd." (We do know that Hayden went to Oregon to keep the
    anarchists from doing what he was doing or advocating back in '68.)

    "You have on the streets of Los Angeles living evidence of an active
    counterculture," Hayden said. "The next wave of liberals in the
    Democratic Party, if ever, will come from the street demonstration and
    the Nader people." (Think about the implications of that quote.)

    On August 16, Amy Goodman of Pacifica's Democracy Now interviewed Tom
    Hayden, and, in the midst of his complaining about the police treatment
    of the NY delegates, Amy
    sprung a question on him.

    Amy: Tom Hayden. Are you a Gore delegate?

    Hayden: I am. I was elected to...ummmm.. support Al Gore. I think he's
    better than Bush. Let's leave it at that, and I was also elected to
    raise my voice. And I found that's much more important since there's
    plenty of people for Gore, that some of us stand up for
    rank and file
    Democrats who can't stand this move to the center,
    betrayals of trade
    policies, health care--they say we can't afford it--but
                                                           we
    can afford Star Wars and all the rest of it.

    Amy: Let me just ask one thing. Would you have been a Gore supporter
    in 1968?

    Hayden: Ummmm. If Gore was Humphrey.

    Amy: You think he is better.

    Hayden: Oh yeah. I mean it goes like this. between... it goes like
    this. You have
                                                   very tough choices. I
    think that Gore is
    better than Bush and I think that Gore should spend less time
    complaining about the Playboy Club and more time complaining about other
    people's mansions. He should spend less time having surrogates attack
    Ralph Nader and he should be addressing the issues of Ralph Nader, but
    that's not what's going on here. What's going on here is the
    continuation of a long story of a secretive police department defending
    the status quo..."

    As if that status has nothing to do with Mr. Gore.