Re: [sixties-l] Value of street demos

From: Ted Morgan (epm2@lehigh.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 17:31:42 CUT

    Back from vacation and jumping into this one a bit --timely, given LA & Philly.
    I would argue that demonstrations are both inevitable and necessary to the degree
    that the electoral (and legislative/policy-making, and media) system(s) is closed
    to the points of view represented by the demonstrators. And quite clearly,
    recall the 60s, demonstrations have the ability to build momentum and trigger a
    response from the mainstream political system & media --witness, most
    effectively, the civil rights movement. But, the real problem, as I see it, is
    that demonstrations that are trying to articulate a radical critique --a critique
    of the system which encompasses media, legislatures, & elections-- find that the
    media are closed off to that point of view, to a radical critique. Mainstream
    media are no more capable of comprehending truly radical criticism, than they
    are of disassociating from & ignoring market imperatives. That's why we see so
    many articles on the recent LA-Philly demonstrations that, well, just don't 'get
    it,' that are asking 'what DO these people want?' [And of course, that other side
    of the media --very much market driven-- is riveted by the various manifestations
    of the "alien other" represented in the 'bizarre' behaviors, attire, etc. (and,
    yes, age) of protesters.
    So, it's a very tough dilemma. Electoral politics, by itself, is but a shell
    game, even with Ralph on the ballot (note the blanketing of Ralph-the-spoiler
    articles that began to appear as soon as he showed up on the poll/radar of the
    media. Street demonstrations (and other effective visual actions) are a
    necessary part of the puzzle, but that doesn't remove the need for them to be
    very mindful of ways of 'sneaking' their message through to people --something it
    seems to me they are increasingly not doing (since Seattle). And, plain old
    face-to-face (and internet) organizing is also a necessary piece of the puzzle.

    All completely reminiscent of the 60s, I'd suggest..

    Ted Morgan