Re:[sixties-l] public enemy BPP film

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 01:31:56 CUT

    I have seen Public Enemy and it is a good film. I also agree that the
    complete stories are never told, and that personal and political
    conflicts would have existed and festered without COINTELPRO, which used
    and exacerbated those conflicts, as other government agencies both in
    the US and elsewhere have done in the past to destroy organizations that
    threatened them. There is no revolutionary struggle which has not had
    its ugly side, but it would be a mistake to simply consider COINTELPRO
    merely one factor, and not a major factor in the self-destruction of the
    Panthers. I don't know, of course, what Panthers you have interviewed,
    and what is in those 350,000 FBI documents you have read, many of which,
    no doubt were heavily censored, as well as "created" for the eyes of
    future researchers. This last point is important, because the creation
    of false documents to distort the past is also something that has
    happened before.

    Jeff Blankfort