RE: [sixties-l] Re: sixties-l-Robert Scheer Sells Out

From: Marty Jezer (mjez@sover.net)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 23:18:37 CUT

    Thanks Carl for saying what I wanted to say.

    I've not followed Scheer's career with the LA Times, but let's assume he's
    moved towards the center and that I would disagree with him on five or six
    political positions. Does that make him a sell-out? No! We just disagree
    on certain issues and hopefully we'd work together on the issues we go
    agree on.

    People on the left still read people out of "the party" over every petty
    disagreement. With maybe 5% of the population with us we continually strive
    to get down to the 4% who are the purist (rather than striving to make it
    5, 6, 10, 50%). And when someone breaks with us on a particular issue, we
    denounce them personally (he's sold out") instead of engaging them.

    Recall the 1980's when we were all anti-interventionists, fighting against
    U.S. intervention in Central America. Our best and bravest allies were
    priests and nuns in the Catholic Church!
    Fuck purity and savor the contradictions!

    Marx's observation that "I wouldn't join any party that would have me as a
    member" seems to hold true on the left today, just as it did in the past.

    Marty Jezer

    --
    Marty Jezer  *  22 Prospect St. *  Brattleboro, VT 05301 * p/f  802 257-5644

    Author: Stuttering: A Life Bound Up in Words (Basic Books) Abbie Hoffman: American Rebel (Rutgers University Press) The Dark Ages: Life in the USA, 1945-1960 (South End Press) Rachel Carson [American Women of Achievement Series] (Chelsea House) Check out my web page: http://www.sover.net/~mjez To subscribe to my Friday commentary, simply request to be put on my mailing list. It's free!