Re: [sixties-l] Pledge of Allegiance

From: Jerry West (record@island.net)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 20:54:36 CUT

    Sandra Hollin Flowers wrote:

    ....how long the words "under God" have been in the pledge. ...."In June
    of 1954 an amendment was made to add the words 'under God.'" The
    addition was made in Eisenhower's presidency. ....this is unverified
    history, gleaned from a single web site.

    JW reply:

    Sounds accurate to me. I was in elementary school during Ike's first
    term and I can remember the words UG comining in somewhere during that
    time. The pledge was the first thing that we did every day clear into
    high school.

    I believe that it was also Ike that put In God We Trust on the coins.

    --
    Jerry West
    Editor/publisher/janitor