Re: [sixties-l] phil ochs/ music w/ marijuana

From: William M Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 03:56:27 CUT

    The rapid decline of the Sixties left was due to its assumption that the capitalist
    state would yield to what were essentially street parades and a few broken windows and
    turned-over cars. When that state resorted to the guns of the National Guard at Kent
    State and Jackson State it became clear that street theater was not the road to power.
    The Sixties left as an essentially spontaneous movement with no view of the nature and
    function of the state was at a loss, and went away.
                                                                    William Mandel