Re: [sixties-l] NAPALM

From: Joe McDonald (joe@countryjoe.com)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 02:19:25 CUT

    radman wrote:

    > NAPALM. "Some of the finer selling points were explained to me by
    > a pilot in 1966: 'We sure are pleased with those backroom boys at
    > Dow. The original product wasn't so hot -- if the gooks were quick
    > they could scrape it off. So the boys started adding polystyrene
    > -- now it sticks like shit to a blanket. But then if the gooks
    > jumped under water it stopped burning, so they started adding Willie
    > Peter [WP -- white phosperous] so's to make it burn better. It'll
    > even burn under water now. & just one drop is enough, it'll keep
    > burning right down to the bone so they die anyway from phosperous
    > poisoning.'" --- Philip Jones Griffiths, photographer, Vietnam Inc.

    sometimes these postings are sensationalistic to say the least. i don't
    know the point taken but for the record as "FRIENDLY FIRE!!!" it worked
    just as good. i would venture a guess of several THOUSAND Americans and
    their South Vietnamese and South Korean allies who were hit with this
    cocktail in all its various mixtures.
    cheers, country joe mcdonald

    -- "Ira Furor Brevis Est " - Anger is a brief madness

    country joe Home Pg <http://www.countryjoe.com>
    country joe's tribute to Florence Nightingale
    <http://www.countryjoe.com/nightingale>
    Berkeley Vietnam Veterans Memorial
    <http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/Links/Comm/vvm>
    Rag Baby Online Magazine <http://www.ragbaby.com/magazine>