Re: [sixties-l] phil ochs/ music w/ marijuana

From: Peter Levy (plevy@eagle.ycp.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 16:20:44 CUT

    Roz's post on the War Is Over march in NYC, unfortunately forces me to
    recall a somewhat similar protest that took place in Berkeley in 1975. I
    was a college freshman, having chosen U.C. partly due to its activist
    reputation. ON the night that the war officially ended (I think),
    students and Berkeley residents poured out into the streets with cheers of
    Ho, Ho, Ho Chi Minh, the Viet Cong have won. Whether they did so
    spontaneously or not I do not know. Unfortunately, the street
    demonstration soon degenerated into a trashing of stores and cars as at
    least some of those present chose to express themselves by breaking
    windows and overturning cars. This, for me, was a rude introduction to
    some of the realities of the sixties, suggesting that some had lost touch
    with the ideals that had originally given rise to the antiwar movement.
    In retrospect, it also leads me to believe that conservative backlash was
    not the only cause of the rapid decline of the left. RAther, many new
    leftists had abdicated their role of recruiting younger, still idealistic
    students into the movement. I, myself, went on to work for Gene
    McCarthy's independent campaing in 1976, much to the chagrin of Berkeley
    Spartacists who called McCarthy an imperialist.
    Peter Levy
    York College