Re: [sixties-l] phil ochs/ music w/ marijuana

From: Marty Jezer (mjez@sover.net)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 21:54:40 CUT

    Roz,
    I too was at the War is Over demonstration. I wrote about it in Win, but can't
    find the issue.
    I do remember that we used what we then called "mobile tactics" running uptown
    in the middle of the street (probably Fifth Avenue and then Broadway or Seventh
    towards Herald and Times Square. When the cops tried to stop us we'd merge with
    the crowds on the sidewalk and then, when the opportunity presented itself, go
    back into the street. We ran into stores along the route shouting the "war is
    over." It ended with a picket at the induction booth on Times Square. I recall
    (dimly) that this was the only place where there were arrests and a static
    confontation. The idea was to give people a taste of what it would feel like,
    how they would feel, if the war was indeed over. It was very high spirited;
    Yippie at its most brilliant. Even the YAWF kids were smiling! I believe Allen
    Ginsberg and Paul Krassner were involved in the planning. Stew: where was
    Abbie at this event? I don't mention the demonstration in my biographyof him
    and have no recollection of his presence. Could he have been in Chicago
    negotiating with Mayor Daley's people? This was, I believe, the spring of 68
    -- between the Yip-in at Grand Central and the Chicago actions.

    Och's was very accessible at this time in his life. I recall a benefit he did
    in Carnegie Hall for the Mobe or the Fifth Avenue Peace Parade Committee when
    he sang "I Ain't Marchin'
    Anymore." I think Joan Baez was on the bill, but it may have been another
    benefit. She sang "Stop in the name of love" and brought down the house.

    Country Joe also did a great benefit for The Resistance, on a bill with the
    Fugs, at the Second Avenue theater, which was an old Yiddish theatre. Remember
    that Joe?
    It was great. Thirty years later I say, "thanks!"

    Young people ought to know how accessible and part of the community these
    singers were.
    Lots of free concerts, lots of support for the movement.

    Marty Jezer

    --
    Marty Jezer  *  22 Prospect St. *  Brattleboro, VT 05301 * p/f  802 257-5644

    Author: Stuttering: A Life Bound Up in Words (Basic Books) Abbie Hoffman: American Rebel (Rutgers University Press) The Dark Ages: Life in the USA, 1945-1960 (South End Press) Rachel Carson [American Women of Achievement Series] (Chelsea House) Check out my web page: http://www.sover.net/~mjez To subscribe to my Friday commentary, simply request to be put on my mailing list. It's free!