Re: [sixties-l] THE COVERT WAR AGAINST ROCK AND RO

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 09:54:50 CUT

    You got your rise. There were a few problems with what you suggested.
    First, the attitude of the cops at Bass Lake was very different. The SF
    Angels were under the protection of the SFPD whereas at Bass Lake, the
    cops were looking for a reason to exercise their legal authority. Two,
    the nighborhood where I lived was mostly Latino (back in 71), many of
    whom were without papers, and already under the gun and the helicopters
    of the SFPD. Three, I was one of the few folks doing prison work at the
    time, and to stop that and other things I was doing to engage in a
    battle with the Angels when so many of the unconcious 60s folks,
    following JJ and Big Brothers lead, and also the Dead, were romanticizng
    the Angels, was simply not a reasonable possibility. Eventually, while I
    was out of town, they bumped someone off in the apartment next door,
    started a fire to cover it, which fortunately was put out, and they went
    off to serve time. Even their friends in the SFPD couldn't protect them
    on that one.

    Jeff Blankfort

    \