Re: [sixties-l] Phil Ochs in 1972

From: purplewins (Purplewins@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 00:12:05 CUT

    He was indeed a gifted songwriter and a very troubled man. He also was a
    male chauvinist and one without principles sometime. In Seattle, in 1968,
    he crossed a new left/women's liberation picket line to perform for the
    University of Washington Men's Day Concert. Other Men's Day Activities
    included a women's liberation demonstration against a playboy bunny. Many
    of the women had been beaten up and threatened with university disciplinary
    action. Anyway, he's mentioned in my chapter in the Feminist Memoir Project
    and in the book I am writing about the Seattle Women's Liberation Movement.

    Barbara Winslow
    School of Education &
    Women's Studies
    Brooklyn College