Re: [sixties-l] Music for a Play (fwd)

From: Sorrento95@aol.com
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 20:01:58 CUT

    Carrol Cox <cbcox@ilstu.edu> writes:

    >It was in a high school Spanish class in 1945
    >or 46 that we were taught a song (by the teacher)
    >that had as its refrain something like,

    >Porque no tiene,
    >Porque [?] falta
    >Marijuana para fumar.

     I remember reading about this in The Guardian
     some time during the Vietnam years.

     The song is "La Cucaracha," and was said to
     have been written by Pancho Villa as a lampoon
     against the reactionary General Huerta. (My
     recollection is vague and others with more
     specific information are invited to comment.)

     The verse goes like this:

      La Cucaracha La Cucaracha
      Ya no puede caminar
      Porque no tiene