Re: [sixties-l] 1959-1970: A REVOLUTION IN BLACK & WHITE

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 17:01:40 CUT

    I attended the first night of San Francisco's Yerba Buena film series
    and found it extraordinary, particularly the documentary on the
    integration of schools in New Orleans, which compared to other Southern
    cities, was said to be light years ahead in social relations. It wasn't
    evident then. The vicious hatred demonstrated by the whites in the
    film, particularly the women, which was replicated throughout the South
    during that period, places these folks in the same category as the worse
    of the in South Africa, and ultra-orthodox Jewish settlers in the
    still-occupied West Bank.

    One gets the same feeling when watching the affection that George
    Wallace's constituents showed for him when he announced that he would
    block the doorway and prevent the first black students from entering the
    state's university.

    Bull Conner wasn't abberation. He represented the same mindset as those
    folks who still believe that the Confederate Flag should be honored
    because it was part of Southern historical heritage, or that there was
    honor in serving the Southern cause.

     Jeff Blankfort