Re: [sixties-l] United States, Vietnam Sign

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 04:41:24 CUT

    It didn't have the drama associated with a defeated nation signing the
    articles of surrender, but that is essentially what took place on
    Thursday. This article might well have been written by someone in the US
    Trade Rep's office, and having been in the newspaper business myself,
    that is not beyond the realm of possibilities.

    In any case, one needs to go no further than the last line in the sixth
    paragraph which refers to the deaths of 58,000 Americans with nary a
    mention of the two million Vietnamese dead, to appreciate the sad irony
    surrounding the signing of this trading pact between David and Goliath.

    The Vietnamese firms that will now be allowed to export freely to the US
    will be essentially foreign-owned, with US corporations, presumably,
    getting the preferences.

    Some of the blame for what has happened, IMNSHO, must fall on the
    anti-war movement, which patted itself on the back in 1975, and then
    neglected to respond when the US, rather than paying reparations to
    rebuild the country it had destroyed, put into place, what amounted to a
    virtual economic embargo, that eventually brought a nation that had been
    at war for more than 50 years, to its knees. It is a major tragedy and
    another bloody stain on the escutcheon of this country.

    Jeff Blankfort

    Radman sent: