Re: [sixties-l] Re: Horowitz corporations

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 06:13:38 CUT

    "Quality of life" is an elusive concept, and since most, if not all of
    such ratings are corporate driven, they are questionable. What is the
    criteria used? Whether a home has a television set, and if so, how many?
    A telephone? A computer? Access to a MacDonald's or a shopping mall?
    Does a more highly evolved technology translate into a higher quality of
    life? Does someone with the latest megabyte PC enjoy a higher quality of
    life than someone who is able to buy a peach in a neighborhood market
    that actually tastes like it did before it became just another
    commodity? Does someone with four bathrooms in their home enjoy a better
    quality of life than the parents who knows their young child can play on
    the street without the fear of their being kidnapped, molested or
    murdered by some psychopath. Or that their children can go to school
    without the fear that they will be gunned down by one of their
    classmates, or that the killer won't be their own child, who
    communicates on his own PC with others of a similar mindset, and drives
    his very own BMW or Chevy to school?

    Has the quality of our own lives in the US really improved with the
    technological advances that have taken place in our life time? As I
    asked once before, does living longer mean living better? Has the
    medical care provided for the majority of people, both in America and
    worldwide, shown improvements that corresponds to the development of new
    profit-making drugs? Do those growing old have less to fear and more to
    appreciate than did their counterparts three decades ago? Has technology
    made us a more or less sociable society? Would someone 40 years ago have
    understood the meaning of "road rage" or "gridlock"? What does it say
    about the quality of life in a society where tens of thousands of people
    spend a minimum of 3 hours a day driving to and from work, part of which
    is to pay for that very transportation?

    In evaluating "quality of life," these are the kind of questions that
    need to be considered.

    Jeff Blankfort