Re: [sixties-l] Re: FUB-Berkeley

From: William Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 20:29:49 CUT

       "One of the most satisfying things I wrote at the time was an
    article, 'The Free University or Freeing THE University,' which I
    originally delivered as a kind of valedictory at the final FSM
    executive committee meeting. It was published in the university's
    Daily Californian....People have always regarded me as a much
    better-than-average teacher. Yet my courses, whether at the Free
    University organized by FSMers and drop-outs or later in more
    formal settings, showed only a little less drop-off in attendance
    than did those of others. I understood why, and it didn't bother
    me. I was teaching about the Soviet Union. It had ceased being an
    ideal for me a decade earlier, but I felt that the more we knew
    about it the better....But my students were idealists, and it was
    Utopia they were looking for. At least, those who were doing so
    dropped out of my classes when they realized that I didn't
    believe that the U.S. could resolve its problems by patterning
    itself after the Soviet Union. They turned to Utopias elsewhere."
       -- in chapter, "Don't Trust Anyone Over 30" in my SAYING NO TO
    POWER.
                                            William Mandel

    --
    To be removed from list, e-mail "Opt Out."
    You may find of interest website www.BillMandel.net