Re: [sixties-l] Re: Horowitz corporations

From: William Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 20:40:52 CUT

    Paula: Regrettably, it's true. the U.S. ranks near the top,
    fourth in the world, in quality of life. Canada is first. Canada,
    too, is a land of corporations, but there is a degree of control
    and a larger degree of concern for public welfare -- single-payer
    health and now something approaching that in child-care -- that
    makes for a more human life. But both there and here it actually
    is corporations and, specifically, the competition among them,
    that has brought technological change to the society as a whole,
    even when that change -- the PC -- was invented by a bunch of 60s
    kids with the ideal of putting information in the hands of the
    people at large.
        The countries that abolished corporations -- the
    Communist-governed ones -- replaced them with government
    monopolies. Monopolies public or private feel no pressure to
    introduce technological change.
        Neither PCs, televisions or refrigerators can be produced at
    affordable prices except by what are corporations, no manner what
    name you give them. The point is that affordable prices are the
    result of economies of scale: mass production.
                            Bill Mandel

    --
    To be removed from list, e-mail "Opt Out."
    You may find of interest website www.BillMandel.net