Re: [sixties-l] Re POW-MIA post

From: William Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 01:46:09 CUT

    Just to express my very strong support for this particular post
    of Jeff's. I was first struck by the internalization of the
    imperialist mentality by the American people at the time of the
    Korean War. How could those people possibly hurt us? So what the
    hell were we doing there?
       The reason it hit me was the very sharp contrast to the
    behavior of American G.I's after World War II, when they
    demanded, by huge demonstrations, and won, their return from the
    European countries they had been in that were on our side against
    Hitler and Mussolini. They did not demand return from Germany,
    which they knew had to be prevented from reorganizing for another
    war against us. Of course, WAshington reorganized Germany to
    fight one on "our" side, although the Germans resisted so long
    that Bosnia, over half a century later, was the first such
    occasion.
                                            Bill Mandel

    --
    To be removed from list, e-mail "Opt Out."
    You may find of interest website www.BillMandel.net