[sixties-l] David Frum NYT op-ed ignored by everyone?

From: Elmer Lightman (lightman@frontiernet.net)
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 16:04:51 CUT

    Will anyone who knows anything on this please respond. What became of
    response to the June 22 New York Times op-ed by David Frum? Did anyone try
    to get an opposing op ed or a letter published? As I posted here, I sent a
    letter which has never been published. NOthing has been published. It's as
    though they stonewalled it. Here's my letter and additional comments. I'd
    like to know if anyone has done anything on this besides me.
    New York Times
    via fax
    To the editor:
    David Frum has no credibility on "How we got here" when he accuses (op-ed,
    June 22) 1960's radicals of being "wrong about practically everything." The
    opposite has proven true.
    Then Secretary of Defense, Robert McNamara admits that the government knew
    by 1968, (the year Frum cites in defense of George W. Bush's
    noninvolvement), that the U.S. could not win the Vietnam War. How was the
    later U.S. Congress "radical" and wrong about cutting off aid to a South
    Vietnamese regime whose people would have voted for Ho Chi Minh-- the reason
    the U.S. reneged on elections when the French withdrew after seeing the
    facts.
    Those, such as Bill Clinton, should be awarded for arguing for the truth
    then, rather than denigrated by those who won't even see it now. Those
    1968 "radical" insights would have saved 58,000 American and 2,000,000
    Vietnamese lives.
    Elmer Brunsman
    Montgomery, NY June 22, 2000

    With more space it would be worth pointing out that it was the Reagan
    administration that was wrong about how to confront the Soviets (another
    "60's radicals were wrong about" Frum statement) . The CIA managed to not
    tell them that the Soviet system was on it's way out. Could it have lasted
    another ten years as it was going economically, etc? Instead the Reagan
    U.S. government took the country into debt and onto the brink of destruction
    with it's enforcement of it's ideology.
    Think of this contradiction: the right always railed about how the "evil
    Soviets" would start a world war if their system was in danger. So they
    went and put it in danger with a massive nuclear build up. And,
    fortunately, the right was wrong again. Rather than fight, the Soviets
    switched.
    Of course Frum's throw away attacks regarding drugs (it was marijuania not
    all drugs that people saw was harmless compared to the established drugs,
    alcohol and cigarettes) and Freshman composition (does anyone know what
    he's talking about?) are no less equally erroneous.
    Is someone going to jawbone the NYT editors into publishing a decent
    rebuttal?

    lightman@frontiernet.net