Re: [sixties-l] War and male bonding >

From: Jerry West (record@island.net)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 01:24:37 CUT

    Jeffrey Blankfort wrote:

    .... the bonding of air force pilots and crew is more dependent on the
    risks they take then the is the bonding of grunts on the ground who are
    put through, collectively, a difficult period of military training which
    is intended to toughen them through a process of dehumanization followed
    by ....

    One result of that process, however, is a type of bonding that I have
    yet to see in any other walk of life.

    JW reply:

    I don't think that it is so much the training as the shared experience
    and the fact that everyone has to depend on everyone else to pull their
    weight for maximum survival. You find the same bond in any team that
    works close together for extended periods of time. In the military the
    bond is strongest amongst those who actually go into combat together
    because the stakes are highest there and the bond is most important.

    --
    Jerry West
    Editor/publisher/janitor