Re: [sixties-l] War and male bonding

From: Henriette C. Beigh (henriett@teleport.com)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 01:30:30 CUT

    Interesting remembrances... I went into the Marines in February, 1968 in a
    weak and stupid attempt to avoid the draft. One of my fond memories is of my
    late, feisty, and very Irish mother telling me about going down to the
    recruiting offices at the Pioneer Post Office in downtown Portland, very
    late at night, and dumping her garbage on the doorstep.

    Fortunately for me I did not have to endure being shot at, ever, in my 10+
    years in the world's most illustrious fighting farce. I did manage 2 tours
    overseas with 1st MAW, though. I remember watching a GV full of coffins
    being unloaded at El Toro as we were waiting to board a bird to go to
    WestPac in March, 1970.

    My "awakening" came in April 1975 as I was watching, live on the tele, the
    fall of Saigon. I was Fire Control Chief for VMA(AW)-242 at El Toro at the
    time. I had come home from work and was watching this on the tube. Walter
    Cronkite announced that this was "the end of the Viet Nam War." The net then
    ran a couple of hours of news footage shot from in country. Some time during
    that time I broke down and cried, and cried, and cried. I realized that I
    had taken a massive screw job from my government. I realized that a
    significant portion of my generation had been killed off, or worse.

    I was the biggest pain in the rear to the Marines from that point on until I
    got out in June of 1978. I do not trust my government. I fear my government
    and I truly do hate the bastards that gave our generation such a hideous
    growing up present. I will not honor the flag, I will not sing the National
    Anthem, and I usually will not stand when it is sung at various and sundry
    events that I might attend.

    I do not consider myself to be an immoral person. It is so easy for those
    from the bowels of righteous indignation to pass judgement on those of us
    who got caught up in the mess. They call us immoral, weak of character, or
    whatever pejorative term they choose to come up with. Those of us who had to
    experience that carnage, from whatever venue, are as much victims of the war
    as anyone else. And I really resent the pompous judgemental words of those
    who would refer to me as "immoral".

    My reasons for enlisting were pure and simple... Had I run to Canada, my
    father, a narrow minded hawk, would have hunted me down and probably beat me
    to within an inch of my life. Or, I could have gone to jail. Neither
    alternative was acceptable. At the time I was quite adept at parroting my
    fathers bellicose verbiage and believed this to be "truth". Besides,
    hypermasculine behaviour is symptomatic of a mental disorder that ultimately
    caught up with me. Anyway, that is my $0.02 worth...

    Hugs and Love,
        Rita

    Henriette Cecile Beigh
    henriett@teleport.com