[sixties-l] Sen. Ernest Gruening & the Vietnam War

From: Craig M. Kind (ckind@uci.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 21:46:30 CUT

    Greetings.

    As part of an on-going research project, I am doing some work on the late
    Ernest Gruening, Senator from Alaska until 1968. I am particularly
    interested in his work opposing the Vietnam War, and I would appreciate and
    suggestions, tips, or thoughts people on this list might have.

    For those of you who may not remember him, Sen. Gruening was one of only
    two Congressmen to vote against the Tonkin Gulf Resolution in 1964. He
    remained a critic of the war while in the Senate, and continued his
    opposition after his election defeat in 1968. Until his death in 1974, he
    remained active as a speaker, criticizing the nation's role in all of
    Southeast Asian and this country's treatment of those who opposed the
    Vietnam War. In fact, one of his last public acts was his testimony before
    the House Judiciary Committee urging amnesty for those who evaded the draft.

    Having graduated from the University of Alaska, Fairbanks, my understanding
    of Gruening's role in the antiwar movement is obviously skewed. Compared
    to almost anyone else in the state, Gruening seemed like a radical on the
    Vietnam War. But American history presents him as a mere footnote,
    overshadowed by colleagues in Congress--Church, McGovern, Fulbright, and
    even his fellow opponent of the Tonkin Gulf Resolution, Wayne Morse.

    If anyone out there has any thoughts on Gruening, any memories of seeing
    and hearing him speak on the war, or just a sense of the view other parts
    of the antiwar movement had of his participation, I would really like to
    hear from you, either through the list-serv or directly at my e-mail
    address. Also, any resources for such information from other sources would
    be greatly appreciated.

    Though this is perhaps too specific a topic for the list, perhaps some of
    you might wish to comment on the role of Congressional opponents to the
    Vietnam war in more general terms. Just how extensive was their
    opposition, how extensive was their support of other antiwar groups? How
    did you folks who participated in the movement relate and react to them?

    Thanks in advance.

    Kind.

    Craig M. Kind ckind@uci.edu
    Department of History Grad Program