[sixties-l] military service

From: Joe McDonald (joe@countryjoe.com)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 01:50:15 CUT

    Jeffrey Blankfort wrote:

    > As it now stands, however, the presence of black or brown soldiers in
    > our military does not appear to have had any humanizing effect. Nor can
    > it realistically be expected to do so. Soldiers are given orders by
    > their superior officers and learn to obey these orders without
    > questioning them, "there's not to reason why, there's but to do and
    > die," as Tennyson wrote.

    > Jeff Blankfort

    "and it's one, two, three, what are we fighting for?" as Country Joe wrote.
    Military service was the most egalitarian experience i ever had. Visable
    military service for minorities has always been empowering. There is
    always good "establishment" thinking behind forbidding certain groups from
    military service. Just think about women for a moment. What if women were
    allowed the use of "deadly force" on an equal level with men in the US
    Military?

    To say that soldiers do not question their orders is demeaning. Soldiers
    have since the beginning of time always questioned their orders.

    cheers, country joe mcdonald

    -- "Ira Furor Brevis Est " - Anger is a brief madness

    country joe Home Pg <http://www.countryjoe.com>
    country joe's tribute to Florence Nightingale
    <http://www.countryjoe.com/nightingale>
    Berkeley Vietnam Veterans Memorial
    <http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/Links/Comm/vvm>
    Rag Baby Online Magazine <http://www.ragbaby.com/magazine>