[sixties-l] non profits

From: Joe McDonald (joe@countryjoe.com)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 01:38:49 CUT

    John Andrew wrote:

    > > Did nonprofits and NGOs grow out of the sixties--or out of pacification
    > >monies, and how? Does anyone know?
    > >Paula

    > Paula,
    > If you mean by nonprofits tax-exempt foundations, then they really
    > exploded in the 1950s and early 1960s - with a subsequent explosion on the
    > Right in the 1980s. This became a hot issue for Congressman Wright Patman
    > (D.-Texas) in the early 1960s, and he launched a moderately successful
    > effort to curb many of the abuses - whereby individuals with large
    > corporations created foundations and then "sold" the foundation all stock
    > in their corporation - avoiding all taxes - the best example of this
    > occurred, I believe, in the 1930s when Henry Ford did this to create the
    > Ford Foundation - Howard Hughes did it in the mid-1950s - as have others.
    > John
    >
    > John Andrew email: J_ANDREW@ACAD.FANDM.EDU
    > Department of History fax 717-399-4518
    > Franklin and Marshall College
    > Lancaster, PA. 17604-3003
    >
    > "Fantasy Will Set You Free" - Steppenwolf

    In the 60's i used to just play benefits for every cause and group that
    sounded good. Sometimes the organization proved to be fake and people just
    walked with the money. Than was bad but nothing compared to the 80's when i
    discovered what some of the heads of non profits were making as salary.
    Sometimes all the benefit does is pay for the presidents salary. We need to
    be very smart about "helping".

    cheers, country joe mcdonald

    -- "Ira Furor Brevis Est " - Anger is a brief madness

    country joe Home Pg <http://www.countryjoe.com>
    country joe's tribute to Florence Nightingale
    <http://www.countryjoe.com/nightingale>
    Berkeley Vietnam Veterans Memorial
    <http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/Links/Comm/vvm>
    Rag Baby Online Magazine <http://www.ragbaby.com/magazine>