Re: [sixties-l] Vietnam memorial and flags

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 00:01:01 CUT

    Do Americans love their country more than the Italians love Italy, more
    than the French love France, more than the Germans love Germany, more
    than the Mexicans love Mexico, etc.? I don't think there is any evidence
    of this, yet when it comes to the flag, millions of Americans are
    unique in their desire to wrap themselves in it. When traveling in
    countries whose histories and traditions are far older than ours, and
    the awareness of their citizens of those histories is far greater than
    what you find in the US, the flying of flags is reserved for government
    buildings. Period. What this suggests to me is on one hand, a certain
    insecurity among Americans about their national identity and on the
    other, a belief that this country and "American way of life" is better
    than any other. This is a prescription for a bad ending.

    It occured to me today, listening to a discussion on the superiority of
    proportional represenation, such as we find in Europe, over our
    basically undemocratic, unrepresentative winner-take-all system, that
    had we proportional representation, which I personally favor, in this
    country, that there is a great likelihood of a fascist, right-wing party
    gaining power than a party of the left.

    Jeff Blankfort