[sixties-l] survivors

From: Joe McDonald (joe@countryjoe.com)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 05:08:55 CUT

    > i just recieved this via the internet and connot comment on its accuaracy
    > except to say that it sounds believable to me. Did 1960's revolutionaries pay
    > as dear a price for their "declaration of independence"? Does that document
    > have any relavance in our lives today?

    Happy Independence Day! country joe mcdonald
    -------------------------------

    > Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the
    > Declaration of Independence?
    >
    > Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured
    > before they died.
    >
    > Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons
    > serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.
    >
    > Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the
    > Revolutionary War.
    >
    > They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their
    > sacred honor.
    >
    > But, What kind of men were they?
    >
    > Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants,
    > nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means
    > and well educated.
    >
    > But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full
    > well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.
    >
    > Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw
    > his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold
    > his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

    > Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his
    > family almost constantly. He served in
    > the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding.
    > His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his
    > reward.
    >
    > Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall,
    > Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and
    > Middleton.
    >
    > At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson Jr., noted that
    > the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson
    > home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General
    > George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed
    > and Nelson died bankrupt.

    > Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The
    > enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.
    >
    > John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying.
    > Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill
    > were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and
    > caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children
    > vanished. A few weeks later he died from exhaustion and a
    > broken heart.
    >
    > Norris and Livingston suffered similar fates.

    -- "Ira Furor Brevis Est " - Anger is a brief madness

    country joe Home Pg <http://www.countryjoe.com>
    country joe's tribute to Florence Nightingale
    <http://www.countryjoe.com/nightingale>
    Berkeley Vietnam Veterans Memorial <http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/Links/Comm/vvm>

    Rag Baby Online Magazine <http://www.ragbaby.com/magazine>