Re: [sixties-l] Gore v. Bush and the under 30 folks

From: Scott Kerlin (skerlin@teleport.com)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2000 - 15:24:11 CUT

    This note appears to have not posted yesterday, so I'm trying again...

    Scott Kerlin

    As I continue to follow this discussion, from the Canadian side of the
    border, with great interest, I'm also periodically locating websites with
    relevance or at least contribution to the dialogue. Here's one that some
    of you may want to visit:

    "Controversy: Do Liberals Need Radicals?", from the website American
    Prospect (www.prospect.org).

    This seems to be an ongoing online discussion between Congressman Barney
    Frank and a number of other commentators. The thread begins here:

    http://www.prospect.org/controversy/radicals/frank-b-1.html

    I'm inclinded to agree (to the extent that my memory of the 1968 election
    is accurate, since I was only 15) with Ron Jacobs' latest posting re: 1968
    and 2000 election parallels. Except that this time, there is no mass
    anti-war coalition activating the opposition and organizing any concerted
    Left campaign.

    Some time in the early 1980s, I recall there was progressive research
    being conducted by MIT Political Science Professor Walter Dean Burnham on
    what he termed "the party of the non-voter", and how it seemed to play a
    major role in the election of Reagan. Last year, I heard Jimmy Carter
    being interviewed on a Larry King episode in which Carter said "there's an
    inverse relationship between age and percentage of people who vote in U.S.
    elections. 60% of 60-year olds vote; 40% of 40 year-olds vote, but only
    about 20% of 20 year-olds vote."

    If this is true, are younger people on the whole more to the left of the
    voting electorate in this era? Do we have any evidence or information
    about this? Maybe I'm hopelessly hopeful, but I still believe that if
    there is to be a change in the U.S., it will again, just like in the 1950s
    and 1960s, have to come from young people (i.e. those under 30, maybe
    inspired by 1960s activists who still care about social change). I would
    only hope this list can attract many young people, as there are a lot of
    lessons they can learn from reading the comments of the "seasoned
    veterans" of the 50s and 60s.

    Scott Kerlin, Ph.D.
    http://www.teleport.com/~skerlin

    P.S. Seeing Country Joe's recent posting to this list inspired me today. I
    checked the Rock history book collection at my University library and
    found a text by Professor Paul Friedlander of the University of the
    Pacific Conservatory of Music, "Rock and Roll: A Social History",
    published in 1996 by Westview Press. And yes, Joe, you are listed in
    there, a number of times!