Re: [sixties-l] another awakening story

From: monkerud (monkerud@scruznet.com)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 07:05:54 CUT

    This post reminds me of the book I'm currently reading, "Stones in the
    River" by Ursula Hegi, about a woman dwarf who lives in Germany, born 1915.
    When the Nazis came for people, some turned their backs and walked away,
    others helped turn in their neighbors and some, like Hegi's dwarf, helped
    people get away. There were certainly human immediate responses going on in
    this instance: for example, should the dwarf help someone being chased by a
    mob when she didn't like that person? Should she help someone who was a
    rotten person when the Nazis were coming for them? What makes someone risk
    their personal safety to help someone else? Or do they see an abstraction
    and turn away from helping others because of a perceived personal affront
    or seek revenge for a past wrong?

    The writer certainly isn't talking about the same gravity of incident, but
    it raises issues that go far beyond the incident of carrying the wood back
    to the porch rather than letting the demonstrators use it, because they
    didn't have the majority behind them and were therefore "anti-demoncratic"
    and "elitist."
    (Can't the same be said of those damn women who had to get out and march
    just so other women could vote? They certainly weren't in the majority, so
    therefore no one should have supported them?)

    When in such a situation as the writer found himself in, my instinct would
    be to give them the wood, or to help carry it into the street. But then I
    wasn't there. I don't know what the ISSUES were.

    Issues are worth fighting for, ideals are worth fighting for. Demonstrators
    appear to have been very pleasant to several of the people on this list,
    including one who took a flag away from demonstrators because they were
    burning it in a protest. I remember Alan Hoffman dropped his pants at an
    SDS convention. No body punched any of these people out, or restrained
    them. That in itself shows something else about the demonstrators -- it
    suggest they were fighting to make a point, often a political point, and
    weren't there to hate or beat up on people they thought they shared more
    with than the police.

    Some don't see politics worth personal safety, unless the circumstances are
    ideal and perfect. Seldom is life like that. And still, I ponder the many
    reasons different people respond differently to the same situation. Some
    of our generation are now the one's who would name names. Does this ever
    change? Does that come from the movement's failure to convince them that
    our solution is correct or morally justified? I think not. Revolution isn't
    a tea party. Even social change is no tea party and things will always be
    topsy turvy in such a situation.

    best, Don Monkerud