Re: [sixties-l] from a child's point of view

From: William Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 05:43:57 CUT

    600! My God! That 40th was going to be my last. After that I was
    prepared to self-publish, a murderous undertaking, particularly
    for an elderly person. But don't think you necessarily have to
    get into such numbers. Two of my books were written at
    publishers' requests, and three by the publishers to whom I first
    offered them, although in one case I had to try others before he
    finally made up his mind. On the other hand, two other books
    written on publishers' advances were never published due to
    McCarthyism, and there was an eighteen-year period of
    blacklisting during which I made many proposals that never got to
    first base.
       Nothing is easy. Some things are harder than others.
                                                            Bill Mandel