Re: [sixties-l] Free Universities

From: William Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 19:43:49 CUT

    I lectured at one of the offshoots of the Free University at
    Pullman, WA. in the 1980s.
       In the Bay Area, there was some degree of incorporation of
    free universities into the official structure of higher
    education. I write as follows about this in Saying No To Power,
    pp. 400-401:
       "One of the most satisfying things I wrote at the time was an
    article, 'The Free University of Freeing the University,' which I
    originally delivered as a kind of valedictory at the final FSM
    executive committee meeting. It was published in the university's
    Daily Californian....
       "The FSM won the right to have courses taught for credit on
    campus by others than faculty members. In the Bay Area, that came
    first and most smoothly at San Francisco State. In 1966 I taught
    a course at its Experimental College. Either I or the professor
    required to sponsor it posed the question of the students getting
    credit. A couple of days later the phone rang, and the voice at
    the other end introduced himself as the head of the Sociology
    Department of S.F. State, Don Gibbons. 'You don't know me, Mr.
    Mandel, but I know you. That will be a three-credit course.' I
    taught it for three years, and Tanya [my wife] commented wryly,
    'The kids get credit but you get no cash.'
       "The San Francisco Bay Guardian is the longest-established
    independent weekly in that city. A man named Burton Wolfe was its
    crack muckraking reporter when I did that teaching at SF State.
    He was also freelancing for Amerika Illustrated, the U.S.
    government's slick-paper monthly published in Russian in the USSR
    in exchange for their circulation of Soviet Life here. He had the
    idea of including my class in an article for Amerika. Describing
    a course quite friendly to the USSR given freely in an American
    university would score very legitimate propaganda points with
    Soviet readers. But when the security idiots in Washington
    learned the name of the teacher, they cancelled the thing. I keep
    a 1967 letter from Wolfe on my study wall to look at when I'm
    down: 'Many thanks for permitting me to attend your wonderful
    class. I believe it is the most important in the Experimental
    College, and I think it could become one of the most important at
    S.F. State if it were included in the regular curriculum. It is a
    pity that the classroom is not packed for your course.'
        "There was lots of mail like that from students there and
    elsewhere....
        "In 1968 some dozen professors in half-a-dozen departments at
    U.C. Berkeley authorized undergraduate and graduate credit for
    students taking a course I gave there. They included the chairman
    of the History Department....Inasmuch as I did not think of
    myself as an historian, and each discipline guards its turf most
    grimly, I took satisfaction in the endorsement of my competence
    by academics across the board. I know of no other case in
    academe, here or abroad, of anyone being honored by acceptance as
    qualified in so wide a range of disciplines."
                                            William Mandel

    --
    To be removed from list, e-mail "Opt Out."
    You may find of interest website www.BillMandel.net