Re: [sixties-l] War and male bonding

From: William Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 00:27:54 CUT

    Women have struggled against war ever since Lysistrata (even
    though that was a play written by a man).
       It is one thing for me, personally, to have concluded, at an
    advanced age, that nothing better than capitalism has yet come
    along, and that for the moment the most we can work for is
    capitalism with a human face, if that is attainable. It is quite
    another to accept that massacre of human beings by each other is
    built into our genetic code.
        I am really afraid that the attitude you express,
    particularly as the mother of a military professional, is one
    that has helped and will help preserve war into the indefinite
    future.
        Various wars in my time have been ended, and some have been
    prevented, by popular opposition. The United States could have
    won the war in Vietnam by nuclear-bombing it literally out of
    existence. It did not because of public opposition to that
    much-discussed alternative worldwide.
        The question in my mind is how you, a member of a people that
    suffered genocide at the hands of our government (the wording of
    the Genocide Convention says only "killing members of a group",
    because the writers found that no numerical boundary line made
    sense), can excuse to yourself in advance the participation of
    your son in wars such as that in Vietnam, where the U.S.
    committed genocide even in the popular understanding of the term
    -- 3,000,000 Vietnamese to 56,000 Americans -- and in Iraq right
    now, where a generation of children is being wiped out by our
    embargo.
       The time must come when people like us persuade the mass of
    the people that foreign policy is something they must concern
    themselves with, because both their lives and their morality -- a
    quality that no other form of life possesses, that which makes us
    human -- are at stake.
                                            William Mandel

    --
    To be removed from list, e-mail "Opt Out."
    You may find of interest website www.BillMandel.net