Re: [sixties-l] War and male bonding

From: Michael W Bibby (mwbibb@ark.ship.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 01:22:28 CUT

    Carrol's point below is key in this thread and in any attempt to think
    outside "war"--it is the reification of "war" that serves to naturalize it
    and make it seem necessary or essential or "timeless," and thus, immutable
    to human life.

    But on the other hand: Although it may very well be that "war" is not a
    "thing" essential to human existence, how can we "think" outside
    it? I think it was Foucault who argued (in "War in the Filigree of
    Peace"?) that all forms of "modern civilization," ie., "civil" society,
    (and also implicitly for F.,a "civilization" rooted in Western traditions
    and notions of modernity), social relations meant to secure a peaceful
    civil existence has worked "war" into its very fabric as its necessary
    "other"--and that even the forms of social relations operate on the
    principles of "war." If discourse and knowledge themselves are so
    thoroughly invested in and productive of power relations that take
    "war" as their model, how can we think an outside to war? I believe that
    this is and must be possible, because I don't and can't believe that war
    is an "essential" and "necessary" condition--it's just that it's so
    reified that it's very difficult to dismantle.

    Michael Bibby
    Department of English
    Shippensburg University
    1871 Old Main Drive