Re: [sixties-l] Brandishing Machine Guns, Militia Marches on Houston

From: Mark Bunster (mbunster@saturn.vcu.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 13:44:34 CUT

    > Even though this
    > private army was reported to be carrying AK-47s, which have been illegal in
    > the U.S. since the 1930's, the Houston DA's office doesn't expect to file
    > charges.

    Apparently no confirmation of AK-47s was made. I think they were all carrying long
    rifles and sidearms.
    I think it's craziness to allow a public, armed demonstration, but isn't it ironic
    that the right in Texas pushed
    hard for this very privilege? Chickens coming home to roost?

    > The question of guilt or innocence,
    > particularly in capitol offences demands high levels of proof in all cases.

    I guess that's one that happens inside the statehouse?--a "capitol" offense?

    > Abolition of the death penalty is emerging as the main weapon in the
    > desperate presidential campaign of Vice President Al Gore.

    To my endless chagrin, is Gore not ALSO in favor of the death penalty? Makes it a
    tough campaign issue to argue, when you're on the same side of it.

    Radman, this has nothing to do with you personally, but I find that a large
    majority of the items you repost--and while I enjoy them, bandwidth might be better
    served by a hypertext link instead of full reposting--feature badly slanted
    rhetoric and poor writing skills overall. And that's from the left AND the right,
    as we see today. It is very difficult for me to consider the arguments being made,
    when so much obfuscation and ill care is taken with the language. This also applies
    to otherwise excellent points made by listmembers, lost in a haze of bad temper and
    epithets. Let me add my voice to the group who desperately wishes to see some level
    of decorum assert itself in our conversations!

    Thanks for the forum,

    Mark Bunster       **It's a different kind of feeling
    Survey Research Lab**you might not have felt at all
    VA. Commonwealth U **makes me jump and touch the ceiling
    Richmond, VA 23284 **if I fall well then I fall.
    mbunster@vcu.edu   **
    rbunster@earthlink.net**          --Chisel
    http://www.imagineradio.com/mymusiclisten.asp?name=mbunster