Re: [sixties-l] Vietnam Memorial and flags

From: James T. Curran (bodhran@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 01:56:50 CUT

            It is quite apparent, if you are typical, that you learned very little
    from the sixties. Your demeaning attitude about anyone who didn't come
    to precisely the same conclusions you have on all the topics on which
    you consider yourself an expert are exactly why so many portions of the
    Movement fell to pieces. People like you want to Balkanize the
    Movement. You don't like loyalty tests, but that's exactly what you are
    requiring of anyone who believes they are/were a radical activist or a
    member of the Left, or whatever. The only homogeneity that existed at
    the time was that the members were born in the same relative time
    period(s) and that they were into rebellion (and rarely the same
    rebellion as everyone else).
            Isn't it obvious to you from just the conversations on this list that
    time has moved on? Most people do move on and come to different
    conclusions BASED ON THE SAME SETS OF FACTS YOU USE. And this is as it
    should be. If you want your pure agenda, you better team up with the 2
    or 3 people in the world who share exactly your positions. But don't be
    surprised if that small group starts disagreeing with each other, falls
    apart and becomes marginalized the same way the Movement has. Or that
    somehow the entire population doesn't cotton to the beliefs of 3 or 4
    people. What happened to the bright goal of inclusiveness?
            Now you can call people stupid ("he's a musician after all") all you
    want; that's your privelege. But if you do, you are as guilty of
    elitism as any of the peole and groups you have attacked. What should
    be the acid test for some to share your exalted ideas? An IQ test? A
    political knowledge index (based on tests prepared by you)? An
    Inquisition to determine the purity of their thoughts? Maybe an
    inspection of their lineage? And how many generations of correct
    thought will you require as a passing grade? And who shall be the
    thought police who monitor everyone accepted to make sure they don't
    backslide? You seem to have already elected yourself to the execution
    team.
            Did it ever occur to you that it isn't a question of "how little the
    ideas that we put forth reached ordinary Americans", but rather how much
    ordinary Americans rejected what we tried to forcefeed them. Maybe they
    had viewpoints on these matters as equally valid as yours.