Re: [sixties-l] purity, Nader, and ... crimes

From: Jerry West (record@island.net)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 23:28:28 CUT

    Ted Morgan wrote:

    It seems that Jeff (Jerry?) draws the line re. war crimes at the wrong
    place: i.e., whether or not the actor in question "knows" exactly what
    he is doing..... I don't think that "truly believing one is saving
    lives" in carrying out an act that is a crime against humanity makes the
    act less than a crime against humanity.

    JW reply:

    It is easy to judge the bombing of Hiroshima (an act with which I
    totally disagree, by the way) as a crime against humanity while sitting
    in an easy chair 55 years later with the whole event in historical
    perspective than it would have been in the middle of a brutal war where
    people were dying on a routine basis. The bombing of Hiroshima was
    certainly an act of war, and in perspective a crime against humanity but
    unless you are willing to say that all war is a crime against humanity
    and both the aggressors and defenders are criminals ipso facto, then it
    becomes a stretch to expect people in 1945 whose lives are at risk in
    the war to consider bombing another city in an effort to end that war a
    war crime.

    Ted Morgan wrote:

    Would we excuse Nazis who believed the propaganda about being threatened
    by Jews? Or even by neighboring Czechoslovakia? Do we excuse the guy
    who broke into a family's home in Seattle some years back (featured in
    Sam Keen's excellent film "Faces of the Enemy") and slaughtered the
    family because he was brainwashed that they were communists seeking to
    take over the world (and responsible for him losing his job!).

    JW reply:

    I think that there is a substantitive difference between doing things
    that can be reasonably construed to be legitimate acts of war (as if we
    should even think of considering war legitimate) and things that we know
    are wrong under any circumstance. Where to draw that line obviously is
    different places in the sand for each of us, and for most of us, at
    least on this list who have expressed themselves, the tolerable area is
    a lot smaller than that of our ancestors who were pretty brutal as a
    whole.

    --
    Jerry West
    Editor/publisher/janitor