[sixties-l] Re: sixties-l-Re Vietnam Memorial

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 02:16:49 CUT

    Joe, you were at least proud enough about your grabbing that flag away
    from its would-be burners that you felt the list should know about it.
    Frankly, what those folks wanted to do with it was really not your
    business. And please don't use as a justification for your action,
    Native Americans, whose ancestors' genocide was carried out under that
    flag, and who due to the destruction of their nations' cultures and
    economies that followed, ironically, found service in the US military
    their only survival solution.

    Please do not place my opinion of your mother with that of Horowitz for
    you insult her memory and the respect that I had for her by doing so.
    You may say that you have known all that I have been talking about since
    you were 10, and I would have believed that during the period of your
    anti-war work, which was a key part of that movement, but this and other
    posts that I have read on this list convince me that somewhere along the
    way, you've lost it. I mean, tying a yellow ribbon a tree when the US
    went off to annihilate Iraq, is not something, I think, your mother
    would have either done or condoned.

    With respect,

    Jeff Blankfort