[sixties-l] Re: sixties-l-Vietnam War Memorial

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 01:18:59 CUT

    One of the lesser known yet important reasons for Lincoln making the
    Emancipation Proclamation when he did was for a significant external
    purpose. In 1863, representatives from the Confederacy were in London,
    petitioning the crown for its military assistance in the war against the
    North. At the same time, British workers who had been following the war
    as best they could at the time, had been inclined to support the North
    on the basis that it was a war against slavery which Britain had
    outlawed three decades earlier.

    But until the Emancipation Proclamation there was no evidence provided
    that this was, indeed, a war over slavery. As soon as it was issued it
    was rushed by ship to London where it was publicized by the workers
    through mass meetings and was instrumental in keeping Britain from
    joining the South, a combination that, had it come about, would quite
    likely have produced a different result.

    Jeff Blankfort

    From: robert <houriet@plainfield.bypass.com>