[sixties-l] Women

From: Joe McDonald (joe@countryjoe.com)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 02:00:06 CUT

    i would like to apologize to the women on the sixties list. Thanks to the insight
    of Roz Payne i realize that the list is dominated by men ranting and raving,
    myself being one of them, just the same as it was in the 60's. If there is any
    hope for the country and the world it is the female point of view and the
    leadership of women. One half of human history belongs to women but we are
    overwhelmed with the male point of view.

    It is shocking and yet understandable that violent behavior by women is up in
    current statistics and that smoking tabacco is up in women. Florence Nightingale
    warned her generation against becoming doctors because they would start acting
    like men.

    i do not know how the list can deal with this problem. i am sure out of 600
    members there must be more than just a few women but getting them to post msgs is
    something that cannot be forced. In the veterans community hearing from women
    who were in the Vietnam War is difficult for they rightfully feel threatened by
    our patriarchy.

    As a start i submit this article on violence against women in present day Vietnam
    but this is not isolated. All over the planet violence against women is in full
    effect. The issue of sexism should be addressed by the sixties list.

    cheers, country joe mcdonald

    > << Domestic violence rages in Vietnam
    > Posted at 1:06 a.m. PDT Sunday, May 28, 2000
    > BY MARK MCDONALD
    > Mercury News Vietnam Bureau
    > HANOI -- Her face is unmarked just now -- unmarked if you look past the
    > sadness -- but as she describes the beatings, and as she weeps, her small
    > hands flutter nervously around her face, as if she's protecting herself from
    > her husband's further blows.
    > Huong -- she's afraid to use her real name -- says the blackened eyes and
    > broken teeth don't much bother her. What's far worse is the humiliation she
    > suffers because her husband, a 45-year-old professor, likes to beat her
    > while his 20-year-old mistress, one of his students, watches them through a
    > bedroom window.
    > ``That emotional pain is the worst pain,'' says Huong, 40, the mother of two
    > young girls. ``I was an orphan and I was severely beaten when I was a young
    > child, so the physical pain doesn't bother me too much. I can stand it.''
    > Standing it, taking the blame for it, keeping quiet about it -- this is how
    > most Vietnamese women cope with what has become a virtually unchecked
    > epidemic of domestic violence here.
    > Despite's communist Vietnam's constitutional guarantees of the protection of
    > women and equality between the sexes, many husbands routinely beat their
    > wives with virtually no criminal consequences. Domestic violence has become
    > a kind of shared national horror in Vietnam, a dirty family secret that
    > everybody knows and nobody tells.
    > ``It's everywhere, absolutely everywhere,'' says sociologist Le thi Quy, one
    > of the few scholars to have done serious research on spousal abuse in
    > Vietnam. ``It happens with every class of people, not just in rural families
    > or poor families or uneducated families with low standards.
    > ``We still don't have many statistics, but I chose one village at random, a
    > very quiet place in suburban Hanoi. I interviewed 30 women there, and all 30
    > had been beaten by their husbands. Every day, every month, year in and year
    > out, more and more women are victims.''
    > It wasn't until 1995 that Quy, in a groundbreaking paper, became the first
    > scholar to use the English term ``domestic violence'' with a Vietnamese
    > translation: bao luc gia dinh. Even now, she and the handful of academics
    > trying to track the problem have had trouble doing research because
    > Vietnamese women are so reluctant to talk about it.
    > Disquieting silence
    > Media, propaganda agencies fail to address violence
    > Domestic violence is barely mentioned in the state-run media or the official
    > propaganda campaigns against ``social evils'' such as prostitution and drug
    > abuse. Even the Vietnam Women's Union, which works for the advancement of
    > women, isn't willing to talk about it; senior leaders rejected numerous
    > interview requests submitted by the Mercury News.
    > The Women's Union is criticized in a recent World Bank study that says the
> [...]

    -- "Ira Furor Brevis Est " - Anger is a brief madness

    country joe Home Pg <http://www.countryjoe.com>
    country joe's tribute to Florence Nightingale
    <http://www.countryjoe.com/nightingale>
    Berkeley Vietnam Veterans Memorial <http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/Links/Comm/vvm>
    Rag Baby Online Magazine <http://www.ragbaby.com/magazine>