[sixties-l] Dropping the A-Bomb

From: Sorrento95@aol.com
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 17:20:03 CUT

    Carrol Cox <cbcox@ilstu.edu> writes:

    "What makes the pilot of the Enola Gray [sp?] a
     war criminal is not dropping the bomb but
     continuing after the fact to glory in his action"

     Actually, it was the Enola Gay.

     We're talking about a lot of stuff here
     besides the 60s, but I guess that's OK
     if the list members like it that way.

     A lot of World War II veterans still shriek
     at anyone who dares to question the dropping
     of the bomb. That is because for many of the
     GIs it was a big relief. They wanted to go
     home instead of having to invade Japan.

     The propaganda justification for dropping
     the bomb was that if it wasn't done, we would
     have been compelled to invade Japan, at a
     cost of a million Allied casualties.

     From no less a source than our own dearly
     beloved David Horowitz, author of The Free
     World Colossus, I came to understand in the
     60s that the above notion was a false dilemma.

     I recall Horowitz pointing out that the
     Russians were about to invade Japan when
     the bombs were dropped. It looks like
     the real motives for dropping the bomb
     were:

     1. to make sure the US would have exclusive
        occupation of Japan after the war, instead
        of having to share it with the USSR; and

     2. to force the Japanese to submit to an
        unconditional surrender, instead of some
        other possible outcome, such as a
        negotiated armistice.

     It was the commitment to the above two goals
     which forced the choice between the costly
     landed invasion or dropping the bomb.

     I also recall Horowitz pointing out that
     Truman was delighted to drop the bomb as
     a means of scaring the Russians and gaining
     an advantage in the upcoming Cold War.

     ~ Michael Wright <-- waiting for Horowitz
       Norman, Oklahoma to shriek